LONG BEACH, N.Y., March 8, 2017 — Planet Payment, Inc. (NASDAQ:PLPM), a provider of international payment and transaction processing and multi-currency processing services, today announced its results for the fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2016.
Financial Highlights for the Fourth Quarter Ended December 31, 2016
- Total revenue for the quarter was $13.9 million, compared to $15.4 million for 2015.
- Net income for the quarter was $19.8 million, compared to $6.7 million for 2015. Included in net income for Q4 2016 and Q4 2015 is a benefit to our income tax provision of $16.5 million and $4.8 million, respectively, due in large part to the reversal of a portion of our deferred tax asset valuation allowance. Excluding this effect net income for Q4 2016 and Q4
2015 would have been $3.3 million and $1.9 million, respectively.
- Diluted net income per share for the quarter was $0.36, compared to $0.11 for 2015. Included in diluted net income per share for Q4 2016 and Q4 2015 is a benefit to our income tax provision of $0.30 per share and $0.08 per share, respectively, due in large part to the reversal of a portion of our deferred tax asset valuation allowance. Excluding this effect diluted net income per share for Q4 2016 and Q4 2015 would have been $ 0.06 and $0.03, respectively.
- Adjusted EBITDA for the quarter increased 22% to $4.8 million, compared to $3.9 million for 2015.
Financial Highlights for the Year Ended December 31, 2016
- Total revenue for the year was $54.3 million, compared to $52.8 million for 2015.
- Net income for the year was $25.1 million compared to $10.4 million for 2015. Included in net income for 2016 and 2015 is a benefit to our income tax provision of $16.5 million and $4.8 million, respectively, due in large part to the reversal of a portion of our deferred tax asset valuation allowance. Excluding this effect, net income for 2016 and 2015 would have been $8.6 million and $5.6 million, respectively.
- Diluted net income per share for the year was $0.44, compared to $0.17 for 2015. Included in diluted net income per share for 2016 and 2015 is a benefit to our income tax provision of $0.29 per share and $0.08 per share, respectively, due in large part to the reversal of a portion of our deferred tax asset valuation allowance. Excluding this effect diluted net income per share for 2016 and 2015 would have been $0.15 and $0.09, respectively.
- Adjusted EBITDA for the year grew 26% to $14.6 million, compared to $11.6 million for 2015.
Refer to Table 1 for reconciliation of net income to Adjusted EBITDA (a non-GAAP measure).
- Launched UnionPay Card Acceptance with United Airlines
- Partnership with UATP to support UnionPay Card Acceptance for UATP’s network of airlines and travel agents
- Launched Pay in Your Currency® and completed development of Multi-Currency Pricing with Moneris Solutions Corporation in Canada
- Entered into the Colombian market by launching Pay in Your Currency® with Redeban Multicolor
- Expanded into a new market with launch of Pay in Your Currency® with Ahli United Bank and Network International in Bahrain
- Commenced commercial roll out of Pay in Your Currency® with HDFC Bank in India
- Launched DCC at ATMs with CIMB Bank in Malaysia
- Announced agreement with WorldPay to launch DCC at ATMs in the US
- Signed contract extensions with Mashreq in United Arab Emirates and Bank of Communications in China
Outlook for Fiscal Year 2017
- Net revenue for the year is estimated to be in the range of $60.1 million and $61.5 million.
- Net income for the year is estimated to be in the range of $11.8 million and $12.8 million. The guidance for net income assumes an effective tax rate of approximately 10.0% and does not assume a further reduction in our tax valuation allowance.
- Adjusted EBITDA for the year is estimated to be in the range of $17.0 million and $18.0 million (see Table 3 for reconciliation of prospective net income to Adjusted EBITDA).
- Fully diluted earnings per share are estimated to be in the range of $0.21 and $0.22 based on 52.0 million fully-diluted common shares outstanding.
“I am pleased with our performance in 2016, and our prospects for 2017,” said Carl Williams, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Planet Payment. “With strengthening global travel trends, multiple business wins, and improving EBITDA, I feel strongly that our progress will continue in 2017 and beyond.”
Results of 2016 Stock Repurchase Program and Tender Offer
For the year ended December 31, 2016, the total amount of common stock repurchased under the program and the tender offer was 6.8 million shares for an aggregate price of $23.8 million.
The Company will host a conference call to discuss Fourth Quarter and Year-End 2016 financial results today at 5:00 pm New York time. Carl J. Williams, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Robert Cox, President and Chief Operating Officer, and Raymond D’Aponte, Chief Financial Officer, will host the call. The call will be webcast live from the Company’s investor relations website at http://ir.planetpayment.com/. The conference call can also be accessed live over the phone by dialing (877) 407-3982, or for international callers (201) 493-6780. A replay will be available approximately two hours after the call concludes and can be accessed on our website or by dialing (844) 512-2921, or for international callers (412) 317-6671, and entering the conference ID 1365463. The replay will be available until our next earnings call on our website or via telephone until March 16, 2017.
Additional analysis of the Company’s performance can be found in “Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations” included in the Annual Report on Form 10-K for the Fiscal Year ended December 31, 2016 to be filed at www.sec.gov and posted on the Company’s investor relations website.
About Planet Payment
Planet Payment is a provider of international payment and transaction processing and multi-currency processing services. The Company provides its services to approximately 189,000 active merchant locations in 22 countries and territories across the Asia Pacific region, the Americas, the Middle East, Africa and Europe, primarily through its acquiring bank and processor customers, as well as through its own direct sales force. Our point-of-sale and e-commerce services help merchants sell more goods and services to consumers, and together with our ATM services, are integrated within the payment card transaction flow, enabling our acquiring customers, their merchants and consumers to shop, pay, transact and reconcile payment transactions in multiple currencies, geographies and channels.
Notice Regarding Forward-Looking Statements.
Information contained in this announcement may include “forward-looking statements.” All statements other than statements of historical facts included herein, including, without limitation, those regarding the financial position, business strategy, plans and objectives of management for future operations of both Planet Payment and its business partners, net revenue, net income, Adjusted EBITDA, diluted earnings per share, future service launches with customers and new initiatives and customer pipeline are forward-looking statements. Such forward-looking statements are based on a number of assumptions regarding Planet Payment’s present and future business strategies, and the environment in which Planet Payment expects to operate in the future, which assumptions may or may not be fulfilled in practice. Implementation of some or all of the new services referred to is subject to regulatory or other third party approvals. Actual results may vary materially from the results anticipated by these forward-looking statements as a result of a variety of risk factors, including the risk that implementation, adoption and offering of the service by processors, acquirers, merchants and others may take longer than anticipated, or may not occur at all; regulatory changes and changes in card association regulations and practices; changes in domestic and international economic conditions; and changes in volume of international travel and commerce and others. Additional risks may arise with respect to commencing operations in new countries and regions, of which Planet Payment is not fully aware at this time. See the Company’s Annual Report Form 10-K for the Fiscal Year ended December 31, 2016 to be filed at www.sec.gov for other risk factors which investors should consider. These forward-looking statements speak only as to the date of this announcement and cannot be relied upon as a guide to future performance. Planet Payment expressly disclaims any obligation or undertaking to disseminate any updates or revisions to any forward-looking statements contained in this announcement to reflect any changes in its expectations with regard thereto or any change in events, conditions or circumstances on which any statement is based.
|Planet Payment, Inc.
Raymond D’Aponte (CFO)
|Tel: + 1 516 670 3200
Non-GAAP Financial Information
The Company provides certain non-GAAP financial measures in this statement. Management believes that Adjusted EBITDA, when viewed with our results under GAAP and the accompanying reconciliations, provides useful information about our period-over-period results. Adjusted EBITDA is presented because management believes it provides additional information with respect to the performance of our fundamental business activities and is also frequently used by securities analysts, investors and other interested parties in the evaluation of comparable companies. We also rely on Adjusted EBITDA as a primary measure to review and assess the operating performance of our company and our management team in connection with our executive compensation. These non-GAAP key business indicators, which include Adjusted EBITDA, should not be considered replacements for and should be read in conjunction with the GAAP financial measures.
We define Adjusted EBITDA as GAAP net income adjusted to exclude: (1) interest expense, (2) interest income, (3) provision for income taxes, (4) depreciation and amortization, (5) stock-based compensation expense and (6) certain other items management believes affect the comparability of operating results. Please see “Adjusted EBITDA” below for more information and for a reconciliation of Adjusted EBITDA to net income, the most directly comparable financial measure calculated and presented in accordance with GAAP.
Click here for the complete release.